Friday, September 23, 2011

Extreme Makeover: Hut Edition


September 13th, 2011

A large part of the three-month integration process is nesting in your new home.  Doing anything to make it “yours,” a place that will be your retreat when the day gets tough, a place to escape and just be the you, you are most comfortable with.  Thankfully here in Swaziland we have some fun options to spruce up your hut!!

Number one fun option: paint!
Its not glamorous paint by any means but its color, its cheap, and it eats up many unfilled hours.  From the selection of eight paint colors I chose the color rose, which tuned out to be more of a light plum, but I love it.  My hut is hexagonal in shape, which many of my fellow PCVs now call the sextagon.  Now get your mind out of the gutter, that name has no sexual connotations.  I accidently called it a sextagon when I was searching for the word hexagon.  I blame my German language training for that one.   Anyways it came painted cream on the inside so I have painted every other wall rose, and left the three walls with windows cream so its not too dark.  My host mom does sewing out of her home for extra income so I am hiring her to make me curtains for the three windows to add some more color.

It is fun making a home here.  It also helps emotionally.  I now have a place where I can express myself, a sanctuary where I can let my guard down.  It’s really quite cozy.  I’m kind of in love with my hut! 

No comments:

Post a Comment