Monday, August 27, 2012

Bethany and Mom’s Whirlwind Tour of Southern Africa Chapter Six: Swaziland


August 11th-15th, 2012

To finish up Mom’s time in Africa we visited the other three regions.  I live in the Lubombo region, so I took Mom down to the Shiselweni region were I had my pre-service training.  We stayed with my training host family for two nights and cooked them an American meal as well.  This time we made wild rice, chicken, and broccoli hot dish, a make shift meatloaf with rice crackers so I could eat it, and backed potatoes.  We cooked everything in a wood burning stove and the hot dish and meatloaf turned out well.  The potatoes took till next morning to actually cook all the way – they made for a good breakfast.  It was great to have my mom meet my other Swazi family and see where I had all my trainings.

We also spent a few hours in the Manzini region in the town of Manzini visiting the craft market and having lunch.  Then it was off to the Hho Hho region.  We spent a night in Milwane Game Park and visited some touristy craft places in the Ezlwini Valley.  Then for Mom’s last day we headed to Mbabane and stayed at the PCV’s home away from home: Bambaso backpackers.  We spent the afternoon at Ngwenya Glass Factory watching them make hand-blown glassware out of recycled glass bottles.  It was fun and the products are so beautiful.  Mom took an early shuttle to Jo-burg airport the next day.  It was sad to say goodbye for another year, but I am so glad that I got to share this experience with someone from home!  Thanks for an awesome 22 day adventure Mom!!

No comments:

Post a Comment