Monday, August 27, 2012

Books For Africa and Tofu Sloppy Joes


July 12th, 2012

Our Books for Africa books have arrived!!!

Last Tuesday Addy and I met our Librarian from the High School and a large lorry truck at a warehouse in town.  It took about 3 minutes for five strong boys and Addy to load boxes with 1,000 books onto the lorry.  It was real quick and easy, now we just have to sort and label them all.

Anyways the adventure to pick-up the books was way more exciting then I made it sound.  First we had to find the warehouse.  The PCVs who are in charge of the project thankfully drew us a map, however they drew the longest possible route to the warehouse.  Addy and I spent half an hour walking in a giant circle following the directions precisely.  We found the place no problem and helped some lost lorries from other schools find it as well.  However as we went to leave a fellow PCV took us the opposite way we came.  This lead us to where we started from but was only a 10 minute walk down one road.  Yay for adventure and exercise!!



We also discovered the Asian Market in Swaziland, which is actually an unmarked garage behind a strip of stores.  I have no idea who stumbled upon this gem in the first place but its awesome – giant bags of rice noodles for cheap cheap!!  And Cheap tofu!!  So this leads me to tofu sloppy Joes.  A Vegan friend introduced me to tofu sloppy Joes long ago and I loved them so I have attempted to make my own.  This had much better results then my homemade egg rolls (if anyone knows how to actually make an egg roll please help a sister out).  The sloppy Joes are simmering as we speak so I may be talking to soon, but it smells so good and were easy to make.  Of course no bread but I have chips and lettuce to make a wrap perhaps. 

Here is the recipe I used:

-       2 large blocks tofu
-       several tbsp chili powder
-       diced onion (one small)
-       chopped garlic (few cloves)
-       one can diced tomatoes
-       squirt ketchup
-       squirt mustard (or mustard powder)
-       dash of sugar
-       oil

1.     break tofu into little bits and fry with oil in a pan
2.     add onion and garlic and fry a bit
3.     add tomatoes, ketchup, mustard, chili powder, and sugar
4.     let simmer for about a half hour until its thick and delicious

Vegan/Vegetarian friends have any suggestions of what else to do with tofu?

No comments:

Post a Comment