Friday, June 1, 2012

Garden Update

April 29th, 2012

So my garden is three weeks old now.  Two weeks ago I planted my first round of crops.  I planted Lettuce seedlings, carrots and spinach from seeds, and green onion that I transplanted from my Make’s garden.  Today I Planted the second round of lettuce and green onion.  I am out of room unless I decide to extend my garden, but my Make told me that I could now have a plot in the big garden.  I guess I have proved I am responsible enough to manage a garden lol.

Everything is growing really well.  My seeds have sprouted and the things I transplanted have successfully come back to life.  I had a slight problem with birds however.  Little birds live in my roof and were eating my lettuce.  PC gave us old mosquito netting to use to screen our windows so I used some of that to make a tarp to go over my garden.  It worked.  The birds haven’t been able to figure out how to get in under the netting.  The goats and cows are now allowed to roam onto the homestead since the maize fields have been harvested so the netting will also keep them from sticking their heads in and eating my vegetables.  I have also started tomatoes seedlings in my house and am trying to grow some herbs. 

I started this garden for only personal reasons.  My host Make has got the green thumb and this project was for her to teach me the ropes of this garden business.  However, I came home the other day and asked my host Sisi what she had been doing all day.  She said she was in the family garden all day.  “Planting?” I asked.  “No Building a door,” she said.  I went and looked and saw that it was constructed out of scrap corrugated tin roofing.  I said, “It looks like the door to my garden.”  She said, “yes, we liked yours and wanted to try it.”  They previously had a hand crafted wire and wood door.  It just goes to show that even when we don’t know what we are doing, we still have the power to make a difference. 

No comments:

Post a Comment